Policy No.:ETP-18-1 Effective:03/18/12
KSAU-HS King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
UNIVERSITY King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
EDUTECH CorporateOffice of Educational Technology Services
DIRECTOR Director of the Corporate Office of Educational Technology Services
IT Information Technology
This policy is designed to ensure that connections to the Internet using University computer systems are safe from viruses, spyware and malware which can be infected by unsafe use of the internet. It is also designed to prevent unauthorized and unprotected connections to the Internet that may allow a variety of unsafe content to enter the University network and compromise data integrity and system security across the entire network.
The policy applies to all University computer systems that are connected to the Internet. This includes connections made via the University network and modem connections using wireless connections of any kind.
- Policy EITP-18-4 Internet Acceptable Use Policy
- An Internet connection is provided to all users by default when creating a University account. Users can access the internet through computer systems provided to them using the University network or with any wireless devices by connecting to the University wireless network. Guest users will be provided access to the internet by approval from the visiting department and accepting the E-mail/Internet User Agreement and are obliged to satisfy the Internet Acceptable Use Policy (ITP-18-4).
- Any connection to the internet other than through the University network must be approved by the Edutech. These additional connections include but are not limited to:
- Modem connection from a computer or communication device that may allow a connection to the network.
- Wireless access points or devices with wireless capability.
- Mobile connectivity technologies including WiFi, WiMax, CDMA and GSM, and any other types of wireless connections.
- If any computers or other devices have wireless capability, the wireless capability must be turned off before connecting to the network unless it is approved for wireless operation by Edutech when connected to the network.
- Any additional Internet connections not provided by Edutech must be reviewed and approved by Edutech. Typically, any additional connections from the University network to the Internet or other outside networks will require:
- An Edutech approved firewall operating at all times and properly configured.
- To be placed outside University firewall so that all traffic needs to enter the University network will be filtered and inspected.
- Any approved device connected directly to the Internet without going through the University proxy servers must adhere to the following:
- A Firewall software must be installed, active and up-to-date.
- Virus-scanning software must be installed and active.
Director Corporate, Educational Technology Service
King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences