Policy No.:ETP-31-1 Effective:03/18/12
KSAU-HS King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
UNIVERSITY King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
EDUTECH CorporateOffice of Educational Technology Services
DIRECTOR Director of the Corporate Office of Educational Technology Services
IT Information Technology
SERVER VIRTUALIZATION Virtual machines that separate the hardware from the virtual operating systems, to allow multiple operating systems to run concurrently on a single computer.
This policy defines the requirements for the acquisition, use, and management of server virtualization technologies. Server virtualization allows for the consolidation of multiple applications onto a single server, while still providing the separation of resources needed by these applications.
The policy applies to all new and existing server applications supported by EDUTECH or located in the data center.
- POLICY I ETP-23-2 IT Hardware and Software Asset Management Policy.
- POLICY EITP-29-1 Green Computing Policy.
- All existing server applications must be considered for reinstallation on a virtual server. All existing service level agreements with the business units that use a server application must still be met in the virtualized environment. Reasons why an application cannot be moved to a virtual server must be documented and a report submitted to the Director.
- This policy does not mandate the use of a particular virtualization technique or vendor; however, the selected virtualization software must support the following:
- Industry-wide standards for virtualization
- A Centralized management console
- Multiple operating systems
- Live migration, which enables the moving of a running virtual machine from one physical server to another
- Industry standard x86 hardware and standard storage devices
- Industry standard backup and recovery tools for disaster recovery
Director Corporate, Educational Technology Service
King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences