Policy No.:ETP-18-2 Effective:03/18/12
KSAU-HS King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
UNIVERSITY King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences
EDUTECH CorporateOffice of Educational Technology Services
DIRECTOR Director of the Corporate Office of Educational Technology Services
IT Information Technology
HOTSPOT A hotspot is any location where Wi-Fi network access is made available for the general public.
VPN Virtual Private Network
This policy is designed to ensure that connections to University computer systems and data using University Wi-Fi hotspots are safe and do not compromise proprietary corporate information.
The policy applies to any device using a University Wi-Fi hotspot to connect to computer systems or data. This includes connections made using laptop computers, PDAs, and smart phones. The policy applies to connections made to in-house systems as well as to systems hosted by a third party that contains corporate information.
- POLICY ITP-18-1 Internet Connection Policy
- POLICY ITP-18-3 Firewall Usage Policy
- Policy ETP-18-4 Internet Acceptable Use Policy
- Connection to University systems or data using University Wi-Fi hotspot is restricted to devices that have been approved and configured by Edutech. The following procedures must be followed before a device is connected to a University Wi-Fi hotspot:
- Firewall software must be installed on the device using a Wi-Fi hotspot to the Internet and updated daily. The firewall should support both inbound and outbound filtering.
- Virus-scanning software must be installed on the connecting device and updated daily. All downloaded files and e-mails must be scanned for viruses.
- All available patches for the device must be installed and up to date.
- A VPN must be used when connecting to any University systems or applications.
- Users must not leave a device unattended at any time as mobile devices are easily stolen.
- The wireless antenna must be turned off when not in use to avoid unintended connections.
- The operations will be monitoring all the connections made to corporate systems and weekly reports will be generated.
- Edutech has the right to disconnect any wireless equipment and disable any user accounts when any unusual or unexpected behavior is identified from any devices connected through KSAU-HS Wi-Fi hotspots.
Director Corporate, Educational Technology Service
King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences